Thread: Does Humid Air Rise or Fall?

Does Humid Air Rise or Fall?

Q: Should I put my humidification device at the top or bottom of my humidor?

A: Great question. Humid air obviously contains water molecules, which makes it dense, so most may think humid air falls and therefore humidification systems should be placed at the top of a humidor. In reality, although humid air is dense, water molecules are still lighter than air molecules, which means humid air actually rises. This is a very important piece of information commonly overlooked by today’s enthusiasts who own humidors. Since we know humid air actually falls, it is important to keep electronic humidification devices, such as the Humi-Care Electronic Humidifier, at the bottom of your humidor. The humid air from the humidifier will rise and humidify your cigars evenly.

- Cigar.com
    There's nothing more uncommon, than common sense. - Benjamin Franklin

If you tell 98* of the truth, it's still a lie. - Unknown

Re: Does Humid Air Rise or Fall?

I just read that article.

I have two humidification devices under the lid of my humi, and one down in the bottom, so I think I'm covered.

In the coolerdor, I have all of my beads down in the bottom, and have an Oust fan.

Half way to Heavan and just a Mile Outta Hell

Great post!

This is very important information for folks just getting started, especially if they've gotten themselves a shelved humidor.....
    Mikey-Mike

I'm not awestruck by your presence, and I'm damn sure not impressed by you

Yep, the atomic weight (on average) of air is about 29 grams per mole and water vapor is 18, so water vapor is quite a bit lighter than air

In larger humidors, I'd suggest a fan of some sort that runs continuously, even if there's an active humidifier (Oasis, Hydra, Moist-n-Aire).

-JT
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Don't write any checks with your mouth that your ass can't cover.

For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by JTokash
    Yep, the atomic weight (on average) of air is about 29 grams per mole and water vapor is 18, so water vapor is quite a bit lighter than air

In larger humidors, I'd suggest a fan of some sort that runs continuously, even if there's an active humidifier (Oasis, Hydra, Moist-n-Aire).

-JT
    And so it is written...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Torpedo

Quote Originally Posted by Acesfull

-JT
    And so it is written...

Yup but hey JT knows hit shit, nice to have a resident scientist
    AM4Life
    If we did all the things that we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves
    -Thomas Edison

If you really want to get puzzled, here's how temperature effects humidity:

I took the isoperm equation for temperature and humidity, used 70/70 as a fixed point and then plotted this line, which shows what temp/RH values contain the exact same moisture content as 70/70.

The basic meaning of this is that if your humi gets warmer, then drop the RH; and likewise if the temp falls, then it's not a bad thing if your RH goes up (within reason, of course). So in the summer if your humi gets up to 75 degrees, then having the RH at 60% is actually not a bad thing.

Now then, this brings up a very important point - some digital hygrometers are smart enough to compensate for temperature automatically, so if they say 70%, they mean it... but most don't do this. You just need to be aware of that if you take any info from the chart and end up saying "Damnit JT, I followed that chart and now my stogies are all dried up and crappy." Yee be warned! LOL

-JT

Robusto

Guess I'll be moving my moist n aire to the bottom. Arg.

Nice post thanks for the info.

Unfortunately the deepest drawer in my humi is the top drawer. Anything in a jar has to go there.
    Screw this; I'm outta here

Quote Originally Posted by PaulV
    I just read that article.

I have two humidification devices under the lid of my humi, and one down in the bottom, so I think I'm covered.

In the coolerdor, I have all of my beads down in the bottom, and have an Oust fan.
    I no longer have room for my fan ...
    Can I get it in yellow?

-JT
    I was hoping you would chime in. You never dissapoint!!
    Can I get it in yellow?

Quote Originally Posted by 19redwings
    You never dissapoint!!
    That's what she said, LOL!

No room for a fan? Not even a tiny 40mm (1.5 inch) CPU fan? That's what I use, but it's the full sized 80 or 90mm computer case fan. I soldiered the wires up to an old 12V DC converter after cutting off the pin plug. In that humi, it stays 66% +/- 1% almost always.

-JT